Pages written in my own time, I aim to make maximally
accessible to all, by using a simple portable HTML subset that
should run on all browsers. avoiding problematic feature in
many newer HTML extensions. (However customers are welcome to
more complex stuff for their sites.)
Just Simple Text & Pictures.
I avoid features that
make web access annoying, problematic, browser dependent, slow,
troublesome, operating systems dependent, inefficient, etc. I
try to put captions behind images to help blind people with
tactile line image displayers etc. I try to break long lines
within <PRE> sections, else browsers impose horizontal
scrolling, a pain on all browsers, & extra pain on mobile
phone browsers. I have lots of
, and clickable via
ready to test with, & more build-able in reserve with
I don't just assume Firefox or (worse) MS-IE.
None Of This:
- Animated graphics, Pop ups (as in adverts, actually I
have No adverts), No Flashing/Blinking.
- chrome/chromium browser not required: privacy
- Assumptions of & forcing screen pixel dimensions
& density, (as seen from moron web designers that try to
force their usually corporate junk to look exactly the same
on any browser in the world, & assert their idiocy looks
corporate professional, when it's really just stealing the
browser's right to rescale for local human factors eg eye
sight & screen size etc.
- Background graphics, just blurs text.
- Click-able maps (maybe you don't have a mouse & are
in text mode, or even a blind user using a line display
- Cookies, What secrets are they up to ?
- Counters & Trace Loggers
(EG triggered on gifs etc).,
- Forced font sizes styles &,
- Forced colours,
- Checks that you have 32K+ colours in your palette, when
you mostly need no more than in use already.
- Dark blue or red fonts on black backgrounds,
- Frames, (some older browsers don't support)
- Language Extensions: Java, Php, etc,
- Plug Ins: Shockwave etc,
- Plug Ins: Flash :
- Dependent on commercial binaries without source, not
available on all CPU architectures & OSs;
- no sources means a security risk as can't be checked:
What might they be runing on your machine ?
- Useless to the blind, even with tactile output
- Proprietary formats EG Micro$oft's excremental .doc &
If You Want Entertainment, Flash, & Glitz on your
- yes I'll do it on your pages.
Customer is King ;-)
- If you'r looking for glitz on My pages: Go to a disco or
cinema instead ;-)
- If you want to pay me , I or
associates can & have
applied various advanced web features to customer pages,
that's your choice if you are paying.
- Blinkered authors styling themselves web page
Designers often have fun with lots of new features,
& like to present themselves as valuable with new tricks;
But they don't often either realise or advise commissioning
web page owners:
- Overloading un-necessary features can result in
obstructing browsing for people with older or different
hardware, eyes, or/ & software, & increasing the risk
- Costs of testing on a wide range of browsers should be
- Many self styled "Web Designers" often mostly test
localy, with one browser type, fed at high speed by local
servers, & don't see the failing dependencies, &
off-puting delay seen when serving a mess of superfluous
graphics via slower connections to remote browsers.
- The percentage of self styled "Web Designers" who make a
hash of things without even realising it, remains too
- If you want me to stress test & identify your web's
inadvertent breaking dependencies, my professional services are available.